On Thu, October 19, 2006 18:24, Ow Mun Heng said:
> Just curious to know,
>
> I tried to update a table with ~1.7 million rows (~1G in size) and the
> update took close to 15-20 minutes before it says it's done.
> Is this kind of speed expected?
>
> I don't really understand how the alter table add column is done, but
> when I look at the "show processlist" I see that it says the state is
> "copying into tmp table"
>
> Does the alter table mean that MySQL has to copy the Entire table,
> row-by-row into a temporary table, and add in the additional column (or
> 2)??
>
> I'm using InnoDB by the way

Basic process for any change which modifies the structure of the table is
to create a temporary table with the new structure, copy the information
from the old table table to the new one (modifying as needed to match the
new structure), drop the old table and rename the new table to the old
tables name.  So the time might be realistic. It depends on the hardware
you are using and what else is going on on the system.

Hope this helps.

-------

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
http://www.csz.com
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061