I know that MySQL does not currently support using stored procedures as a subquery and, as far I understand, this is not planned.

I personally would like this and got used to it in ms sqlserver. For people interested in the topic here is a thread I found on Jon Haddad's site Rusty Razor Blade: http://www.rustyrazorblade.com/index.php/2006/09/27/can-you-use-a-stored-procedure-in-a-subquery-i-dont-think-so-mysql/

Some people advocate using views but since MySQL does not support parameterized views either it lacks the flexibility I wish.

I have thought of having my stored procs create and populate temp (possibly memory) tables, perhaps using a naming convention based on the stored proc name. I could then select from the temp tables contents. This will probably work but I would be interested in other people's views and/or experience with this.

Reactions?

Thanks,

Peter Andrews