Another thought I had just after hitting "send" -
if you're concerned about adding to the time it takes to load a page
due to logging, you should consider using an "INSERT DELAYED" syntax
if you can.  That causes the database to immediately return a success
message to the client (probably your webserver in this case) while it
buffers the statement to be performed at the next opportunity.  See
the manual page for more info and caveats:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/insert-delayed.html

You could use this regardless of whether or not you choose to add indices, even.

Dan