On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 09:18:08AM +0100, Simon Windsor wrote:

> Could someone please clarify the following points for me:-
>
> If I use the command
>
> load table <x> from master;
>
> on the slave, will the table once copied to the slave be kept up to
> date by the master ?

The slave will copy the table from the master. If you then start the
slave, it should keep up to date if you've configured things properly.

> If this so, then can a slave actually be built up and brought into
> line with the master by using this approach for all tables with the
> database ?

It depends.

Note the paragraph in the manual:

  It is very important to realize that the binary log is simply a
  record starting from a fixed point in time (the moment you enable
  binary logging). Any slaves which you set up will need copies of all
  the data from your master as it existed the moment that you enabled
  binary logging on the master. If you start your slaves with data
  that doesn't agree with what was on the master when the binary log
  was started, your slaves may fail.

I ran into that problem a few times and then had that added to the
manual so that it was more clear.

It is possible to get in a situation where you either "miss" updates
on the slave, or your slave tries to run an update query that is
already reflected in the table that you are copying.

If the table is not updated frequently (and doesn't take long to
copy), it probably won't be a problem for you. But with larger tables
which are constantly changing, this can become a problem that requires
a little more work on your part.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.29: up 4 days, processed 33,165,307 queries (80/sec. avg)