Did you leave your queries searching on ASCII instead of decimal? Depending on how you structured your queries, MySQL may actually be converting the fields to ASCII in order to do the comparison. Which would probably take 3x longer since it's not using an index.

To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:36 AM
Subject: Speed of DECIMAL

Hi,

I was hoping to speed up my database operations a bit  by changing some
colums in my database from CHAR(15) ASCII to DEC(15) UNSIGNED ZEROFILL.  I
was expecting a speedup as DEC(15) is more compact, and this columns are
also part of InnoDB indices.  In contrary to my expectations, running my
test suit took approximately three times as much time, as before.

Could anybody give me a probable reason for this slowdown?

Thx

ImRe

P.S.: Ver 5.0.24a