>Haven't read your issue in its entirety, but UTF-8 can definitely
>handle these characters.
>The prob is either in the DB, the app, or the tomcat config.
>
>1. The DB: Make absolutely sure that the content in the db is in fact UTF-8.
>
>One thing I've done in the past to verify this exact issue, is to
>simply run something like:
>
># mysql -e "select fields from table" > output.txt
>
>- making *sure* that the the output contains some non-ASCII characters -
>preferably non-Latin too.
>
>Then open output.txt in a browser and set the character encoding to UTF-8.
>[View->Character Encoding->UTF-8 in Firefox].
>
>If the content renders properly [provided you've got the right fonts
>obviously], then you can be sure that the content went in properly.
>
>Alternatively if you happen to use Solaris - there's a great utility
>auto_ef [auto encoding finder].

Michael, thanks for the tip.  At the command line, I entered:

mysql -uroot -p --default-character-set=utf8  recruitment_play -e "select
mainbody from advert where vacancyid = 428" > output.txt

This is what showed in the browser after opening the file (with setting the
charset to UTF-8 as you described).  Same junk characters.  So we cannot yet
eliminate mysql, unfortunately.
mainbody
what will happen now
\n£1000 - £2000