Philip Mather wrote:

Taymour,

I just bough innodb hotbackup, I need to do incremental backup as I have a database which is several GB. Is it ok that I enable the binary log and using innodb hotbackup to create a full backup and use the binary log for incremental ?, if yes how do I force mysqld to write a new log after the backup is complete ?

That is indeed how I've done similar restores in the past. The command you are looking for is either *mysqladmin flush-logs *or just a "flush logs" as a query. The man pages are...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/flush.html
and
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/backup-strategy-example.html

Regards,
    Phil

How do I ensure consistency, if I start the ibbackup then after finishing, flush logs.

--
Taymour A El Erian
System Division Manager