Em Wed, 01 Nov 2006 00:00:23 -0800, Cabbar Duzayak escreveu:

> We have huge amount of data, and we are planning to use logical
> partitioning to divide it over multiple machines/mysql instances.

        This is a hard call.  You will have to keep data consistent among
servers, and MySQL does not support distributed transactions: it does have the
XA interface, but it does not do its job properly.

        As far as I know, the only free SQL DBMS supporting distributed
transactions is Ingres.

> We are planning to use Intel based machines and will prefer ISAM since there
> is not much updates but mostly selects.

        You are asking for trouble.  Hear the voice of experience.

> So, what I wanted to learn is how much can we push it to the limits on a
> single machine with about 2 gig rams? Do you think MYSQL can handle ~
> 700-800 gigabyte on a single machine?

        Probably yes, but it will all depend on what you will do precisely with
it.  Anyway, you would be much better of with a more solid system, preferrably
with proper XA distributed transactions (two-phase commit).

> And, is it OK to put this much data in a single table, or should we divide it
> over multiple tables?

        With a proper DBMS, you can partition the table in physical segments
without complicating the logical model.  Check Ingres or PostgreSQL, perhaps
MySQL’s own MaxDB.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA     +55 (11) 9406 7191 (cel)
Administrador de (Bases de) Dados         +55 (11) 2122 0302 (com)