I'm looking for a tool that could parse a boat load of various queries
using complex joins and subqueries, analyze each, and print out the
optimal covering indices that could be used on each table for each
query. It would have to take into consideration stuff like a WHERE
expression that could not use an index even if the column was indexable.

I suppose it would not be difficult to build one but I was hoping that
someone knew of a tool out there that already did such a thing? The
problem with EXPLAIN is that it will print out how the query will be
executed based on existing indices, not the optimal indices that may or
may not exist yet.

TIA,

R.