On 2006-11-09 VenuGopal Papasani wrote:
> hi all,
>   I have got a problem with mysql and i want to uninstall it and then
> re-install it but the problem is how to recover my data.
This seldom solves problems. What problem do you have, maybe we can help
without having you uninstall your server :)

> My mysqldump command is not working.
hat does it do wrong? (hint: remember max_allowed_packet for big tables and use
--opt).

> Can i have any other procedure to recover my data like copying the folder of
> my database from the data folder and then making a backup.
If you are using MyISAM/ISAM/BDB it's safe to copy the tables *IF* the server
is shutdown (else it could have data in memory that was not yet written to
disk).

> But when i tried i m getting the following error as *
> databasename.tablename doesn't exist*
Who gives you that error? /bin/cp? Or an SQL command?
What does "find /var/lib/mysql/ -ls" and "df -h" say?

bye,

-christian-