On 11/17/06, John Kopanas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That is what I thought.  Then why would it be going at 99% CPU for over 20
minutes?  What factors would cause that?  We are using version 4.1.20
standard.

Would the fact that a website was still connected to DB cause the problem?

Normally, no - an index creation is an atomic operation.  It waits
until it has a table lock, then does its thing, and then it is done.
It waits for connections, then while it is working other connections
wait for it.

I would guess that perhaps you have somehow encountered a deadlock.

Can you post the output of SHOW PROCESSLIST ?

-Dan