I believe what you are talking about is an inverted text index where the
word is used to lookup what document it occurs in. To create this index you
would have to make a program that takes a "document" (be it a row in the
database or a file or whatever), splits it up into words, inserts these
words into a table (assigning each unique word an index number).. and then
for each word index has a list of documents it occurs in. Getting the
results back would just be the inverse of this.

One webpage that I can refer you to is http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mg/. Managing
gigabytes is a book that covers full text indexing and to aid the readers
they created source code that illustrates the points in the book. This is a
bit more complicated than what I described above.

For hit highlighting usually a straight search/replace is done.. replacing
the search words with <B>searchword</B>.

Hope this helps. I would be interested in your findings could you please
send me info when you finish gathering? Thanks.

ryan