On 11/22/06, Tom Ray [Lists] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I upgraded a server from 4.0 to 4.1 and then to 5.0 but I've been
running into a problem. When I was running 4.0 the passwords with the
password('password') command where being created like this:
2a287c002f9773dc now after I upgraded to 4.1 when I add a new user the
passwords end up being like this: *A645B7228E54A58C02488027D2FBD96853E7BF8B

When I connect via the command line everything is peachy but when I
connect via PHP I kept getting this error:

*Warning*: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect
<http://karma.detroitonline.com/function.mysql-connect>]: Client does
not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL client in */usr/local/vps/karma/apache/htdocs/test.php*
on line *3*
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client

So I upgraded to 5.0 and I'm still seeing long passwords and I'm still
getting this error with PHP...can anyone tell me what's going on here? I
upgraded another server to 5.0 and I didn't see this problem at all. I'm
a little screwed right now because this server is replacing one that had
to come out of service due to a bad harddrive and now clients can't make
connections anymore with their scripts. The old server was running
4.0....it's looking like I might have to downgrade until this is fixed...

any help would be greatly appreciated

Password format changed from 4 to 4.1, its an issue that has been
reported MANY times and have a LOT of help at the MySQL site and
manual, a simple search returned:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

So, there you go, time to change password format or start your server
with --old-passwords. I strongly suggest you to change your password
format.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil