All,

I have an application in which I am trying to insert some traditional Chinese
characters.  The insert statement probably won't cut and paste correctly but it
is: insert into "TKTS13" values (2,'ÄãºÃ', 'ÄãºÃ');

I have used this website
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/conversion to validate that when I
view my insert statement in the visual c debugger my values are correct:

insert into `TKTS13` (`TKTSCOL1`, `TKTSCOL2`, `TKTSCOL3`)  values(2,
'\xE4\xBD\xA0\xE5\xA5\xBD', '\xE4\xBD\xA0\xE5\xA5\xBD')

E4BDA0 E5A5BD are the correct Chinese characters.

However, when I then go to the MySQL Command line and do a select * from the
table I get ?? For my data.

mysql> select * from TKTS13;
+----------+----------+----------+
| TKTSCOL1 | TKTSCOL2 | TKTSCOL3 |
+----------+----------+----------+
|        2 | ??       | ??       |
+----------+----------+----------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select hex(TKTSCOL2) from TKTS13 where TKTSCOL1=2;
+---------------+
| hex(TKTSCOL2) |
+---------------+
| 3F3F          |
+---------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

It looks like the Hex representation isn't correct.  I turned on binary logging
and in the log file I see insert statement just like I see it in the debugger.
So it appears that the SQL is sent to the server correctly.  I just don't
understand why it isn't being stored correctly.

I'm using the prepared statement API to prepare and execute the insert
statement.

My client and server are 5.1 and the server is running in UTF8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Barbara