Thanks for the tip.

I have just entered the SQL statement and it isn't giving me the totals I
want but you have given me something to look up to see if I can use uit to
get what I want. I suppose in programming terms what I am after is:

totsurname=0,totstreet=0,tottown=0,totdistrict=0,tot=0

for each district
   for each town
      for each street
          count surnames within the street
      at end of each street report the district,town,street and no. of
surnames
   count the number of streets
   at the end of each town report the district, town, no. of streets, no. of
surnames
count the number of towns
at the end of each district report the district, no. of towns, no. of
streets, no. surnames

when all rows are processed report the no. of districts, no. of towns, no.
of streets, no. surnames

I was hoping to do this with a clever combination of SELECT, GROUP BY, etc.

Kerry