Mathieu,

The old_passwords option only changes how mysqld generates new
passwords. If old_passwords=0 when you create a new user mysql will
generate a long password that will only accept clients using the newer
protocol (and client lib). When old_passwords=1 mysql will generate
the older shorter passwords that will accept clients using the old
protocol (and client lib)

It's possible to have some clients use the old protocol and some using
the new protocol by changing their passwords accordingly. This is what
the old_password function is for in both mysql and phpmyadmin.

-Eric