To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:13 AM
Subject: before update trigger syntax

Can someone tell me what's wrong with my before update
trigger syntax ?

Thanks

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or
\g.
Your MySQL connection id is 19 to server version:
5.0.18-log

mysql> use eventtracker;
Reading table information for completion of table and
column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup
with -A

Database changed
mysql> CREATE TRIGGER eat_lub BEFORE UPDATE ON
EVENT_ACTION_TYPES
   ->   FOR EACH ROW BEGIN
   ->     SET NEW.LAST_UPDATED_BY = USER();  END;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL
syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'SET NEW.LAST_UPDATED_BY = USER()' at line 3
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL
syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'END' at line 1
mysql> CREATE TRIGGER eat_lub BEFORE UPDATE ON
EVENT_ACTION_TYPES
   ->   FOR EACH ROW BEGIN
   ->     UPDATE EVENT_ACTION_TYPES SET
NEW.LAST_UPDATED_BY = USER();  END;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL
syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'UPDATE EVENT_ACTION_TYPES SET NEW.LAST_UPDATED_BY =
USER()' at line 3