Brian Dunning wrote:
I have many sites accessing one MySQL server, all using the same IP, username, password via a PHP $connection = mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pass);.

The server is extremely busy, hammered 24x7, but almost all traffic is coming from one very short script. About once a day we're getting "No database selected" with that one table "busy" and the only way out is mysqladmin flush-hosts.

In that one busy script, I replaced mysql_connect() with mysql_pconnect() according to some advice I received, and the server immediately went back to "No database selected" and all hung up.

Everything I read seemed to indicate that what I did should have made things better, not worse. Can someone suggest what my next steps should be?
Check your max_connections setting which shows how many connections your server will allow at any time:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%connections%';

And checking status:

SHOW STATUS LIKE '%connections%';

Will tell you how many connections you've used simultaneously.

Regards
--jm

--
Jacques Marneweck