--with-mysql uses PHP's built-in MySQL libraries, while --with-
mysql=/path/to/mysql will build it with the libraries of the MySQL
installation already present.  The version built into PHP4  seems to
work ok  for most things, but it's a bit behind in the point revs; which
version it uses escapes me for the moment.