Hi all,
I need a database that is able to handle french characters.  I read the "Mysql
Reference Manual" and have done the following in a table to test the
different results but I wasn't successful which leads me to believe I am
doing something wrong... and yes, I'm a noob. ;)

CREATE TABLE companies (
    c1      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET utf8,
    c2      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci,
    c3      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET latin1,
    c4      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci,
    c5      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET dec8,
    c6      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET dec8 COLLATE dec8_bin,
    c7      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET hp8,
    c8      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET hp8 COLLATE hp8_bin,
    c9      VARCHAR(30)     CHARACTER SET cp850,
    c10     CHAR(30)        NOT NULL,
    c11     TEXT            CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci
    );

When I insert "'Récré, Vive La Fête!" the best I get is "R?cr?, Vive La F?te!"
from "c11".

Can anyone advise me on what I need done to get these accents show up?
Pointers to more documentation are also welcome.

Many thanks,
 -Ed