Hello,

my question refers to the user "root" in MySQL 5.0.22.

Is the standard MySQL root user really required with the name "root" or can I rename the
root user for example to "myroot"?

No, it isn't required, you can rename it or simply create another user and:

grant all privileges on *.* to '<user>'@'%' with grant option;

Our software vendor affirms that MySQL need the User "root" always but I argue
the convers.

They're wrong, and you're right.

The application of this vendor doesn't work by renaming the "root" user to
"myroot".
In my opinion the application causes the fault and not the MySQL DBMS.

It is definitely the application fault, and it should be corrected,
hard coding something like that is, to say the least, unappropriated.

I have a DB with no root user for 2 years, it saved my ass from many
intruders, because they all count on having a root user with all
privileges, even IF they break in my system, the root user can't do
anything on my DBs, its in fact a "fake super-user" and allowed me to
catch a few idiots by logging their entrance... Many robots try to
break into MySQL servers by brute-force with user "root" and many
dictionary passwords.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil