Kevin Old wrote:
On 12/8/06, Philip Mather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So something like 15G, that's not that bad. I'd run mtop as someone suggested and see if some query is hammering it, maybe some other process on the machine is hogging or going IO bound?

Thanks.  We are watching the queries.  The pattern we're seeing now is
any "large query" that takes more than a few seconds to execute causes
incoming queries to stack up and not execute, which causes the mysql
load to go higher.  We've seen a few times where mysql recovered after
a large query started other queries to stack up.

Keep in mind that we've been running some of these queries that are
now having problems for over a year.  We were running on the same
hardware with the 386 version of mysql and performance was awesome
only using 2GB RAM (the max mysql would allow us to use).  Only after
the switch to the x86_64 version are we seeing these problems.
Tried an optimize or maybe a myisamchk |--check| or a |--analyze? Might not be the underlying "cause" but might reduce the occurrences of pile ups?

Maybe there's a hardware issue when using the 64 bit code, any RAID involved? ||I was vaguely assuming it was a RedHat-a-like box of some description?|

<shrug />
Sounds like some other issue is just pushing MySQL over the edge, not bumping into any ulimits are you?

Regards,
   Phil