On 12/11/06, Ahmad Al-Twaijiry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm using mysqld with option "old-passwords" in my server (let's call
it serverA)

and in my application I use "UPDATE ..... SET
USERPWD=PASSWORD('ABCD')" to set the users password

now I want to move my database to another server (serverB) and the
mysqld in this new server doesn't run with "old-passwords"

so I dumped the databases from the first server (serverA) to a file
using mysqldump command and I imported it to the new server (serverB)
with command "mysql> source database.sql"

now no one from my users can access to his account and I think it's
because the old-passwords is not enabled in the new server (serverB)

I can enable "old-passwords" in the new server but I don't want to do
that (the new password format is more secure and better, right ?).

so is there anyway to convert all the password in my database to the
new password format ?

Start your new server with the --old-passwords option, login with your
superuser (root or whatever you call it) and change its password to
the new format:

SET PASSWORD FORv 'some_user'@'some_host' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

Then you can logout and restart your server without the
--old-passwords option, and still login with the superuser, and with
this account, you can set all your users passwords to the new format
with a command just like the one above, check:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

And you may find all information about passwords there.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil