To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:57 AM
Subject: definition of Created_tmp_files in "show status"

According to the mysql reference manual, the definition of this field is:
"How many temporary files mysqld has created. "

Can someone elaborate on this? What causes mysql to create a temporary file? I see something indicating it may be associated with replication. In our environment (which has replication) we see counts for this variable in the tens of thousands.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin