On 12/17/06, Mike Duffy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am sure this question has probably been asked in this group before, but
I would like to get an
updated answer.

If you were building your own boxes to run clustered MySQL servers, how
would you configure the
boxes? (This would of course be for an enterprise level database system.)

I am looking for an optimal solution that balances cost and performance;
and yes, I realize that
is a very subjective standard.

I once knew someone who was too cheap to buy a computer case, so he mounted
a computer motherboard on a piece of plywood and used it.

I don't recommend plywood, but for a cluster you may be able to stack cheap
motherboards, power supplies, disk drives, and fans in a single larger metal
enclosure (depends on how handy you are at this kind of fab in general).

This is at the EXTREME low end of price.  Even with 5G of RAM on each one,
you may be able to average $600 - $700 per motherboard, all costs included.

I'd start with a half-height rack enclosure, and see if you can develop a
regular pattern to "repeat" within.

Enterprise-grade servers are EXPENSIVE.