On 12/19/06, David Sparks wrote:
I noticed an interesting benchmark at tweakers.net that shows mysql not
scaling very well on hyperthreading and multicore cpus (see links at end
of email).

Does anyone know what engine they are using for their tests? (Innodb,
myisam, berkdb heheh)

InnoDB, the first installment of the series of tests had the following
configuration: http://tweakers.net/reviews/620/2
And I would venture that these results are not because they did
horrible things to their MySQL configuration. On the second
installment of the series http://tweakers.net/reviews/633/7 engineers
from Sun were brought in and they consulted with engineers from MySQL
and on the last installment Peter Zaitsev of the MySQL Performance
Blog did a review of their configuration:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/660/6

In fact they seem to show that postgres is a faster db overall.  This
goes against my personal experience where I benchmarked a real world app
we have and found mysql 10 to 100 times faster

In my experience such a large performance difference between
PostgreSQL and MySQL can always be attributed to some obvious
difference in the internals. For instance because PostgreSQL can use
indexes on datatypes that MySQL can not (or doesn't even have) or
because queries are very repetitive and MySQL can use the query cache
which PostgreSQL does not have. Without such obvious factors I am very
inclined to attribute differences of the magnitude you are claiming to
a difference in knowledge of the databases at hand.

Jochem