Hi,

We use /usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 4.1.20 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386
(Source distribution).  /etc/my.cnf has the following configurations.

==
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[mysqld_safe]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
==

But /var/log/mysqld.log doesn't have anything more recent than October
2006.  Yesterday, the mysqld experienced too many connections problem.
But I didn't find anything got logged in mysqld.log.  Why is that?  I'm
sure that's the config file mysqld reads because the pid-file has the pid
of the running mysqld.  I'd appreciate any insight.

Bing