Regarding the format of TIMESTAMP columns, one of the user comments on
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/timestamp-4-1.html
offers the solution below:

Posted by Kjell Arne Rekaa on April 14 2005 11:11pm
If you want the same view of a timestamp field in 4.1.x as it was in
in earlier mysql versions, without the delimiter characters in date
and time, simply add a "+0" to the column name:
mysql> create table date (remember timestamp);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)
mysql> insert date values ('20050517120000');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
mysql> select remember from date;
+---------------------+
| remember            |
+---------------------+
| 2005-05-17 12:00:00 |
+---------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
mysql> select remember+0 from date;
+----------------+
| remember+0     |
+----------------+
| 20050517120000 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

As far as your character set, I believe that is stored by table, so
your data should remain OK.

Another major consideration with 4.1 is that passwords changed
considerably from 4.0 to 4.1:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/password-hashing.html

HTH,
Dan