I ran into this before. They had a system of spreadsheets that worked for them and they didn't want that to go away. What I did was installed them a MySql server on a RHEL box, and rework all the spreadsheets that had special links to point to the database.

My argument to them was this allowed for one central point information instead the potential for the same information to repeated (and possibly changed) from another source. This also gave them an eaisier backup solution.

They liked it.

Nowadays, Most business' have learned "if it works for you let it alone". I have seen a $4-million business printing out mailing labels on a Win98SE machine. Why? Because it works perfectly for what they want, why change it. They print out over 7 million mailing labels a year. They did upgrade the printer.

--
robert

Stephen Cook wrote:

You should send that one to The Daily WTF...   http://thedailywtf.com/

Jay Blanchard wrote:

[snip]
I recently last week Had and experience with an Very small Company,
where as
they had around 15 Machines all hooked "Star topology" and a central iis
ASP
Web server that only showed the date, and a few small utilities when
addressed  To it, now there entire Operation was based upon Excel,
everything "not joking" I mean everything, was a file share to an Folder
("around 90 Folders") in which they had probably 200 + excel sheets in
each
one u name something u need to do in business I guarantee there was a
excel
sheet for it, repetitive sheets for Different Operations, all Sheets
linked
to one another thru references in excel, excel97 Mind u, I was there on
Consulting call, to inform them of a better way to update / Operate
there
business  "They ended up saying they liked there Current way better" it
makes more sence to them and Only wanted me to link 10 more sheets to
what
they already had and add a few more file shares, "of Course I refused
this
Project "  and walked out Laughing my ass off in the car" [/snip]

Seriously?