Thanks for the detailed answer.
So basically the limitations come from the OS and the file system used.

What is the best file system to use for mysql (not considering the filesize
limitations)?

Thanks
Olaf

On 12/29/06 2:25 AM, "ViSolve DB Team" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The maximum effective table size for MySQL databases is usually determined by
> operating system constraints on file sizes, not by MySQL internal limits.
>
> If you need a MyISAM table that is larger than 4GB in size (and your operating
> system supports large files), the CREATE TABLE statement allows AVG_ROW_LENGTH
> and MAX_ROWS options.
>
> The InnoDB storage engine maintains InnoDB tables within a tablespace that can
> be created from several files. This allows a table to exceed the maximum
> individual file size. The tablespace can include raw disk partitions, which
> allows extremely large tables. The maximum tablespace size is 64TB.
>
> On Linux 2.2, you can get MyISAM tables larger than 2GB in size by using the
> Large File Support (LFS) patch for the ext2 filesystem. On Linux 2.4, patches
> also exist for ReiserFS to get support for big files (up to 2TB).  However,
> the maximum available file size still depends on several factors, one of them
> being the filesystem used to store MySQL tables.
>
> You can check the maximum table size for a table with the SHOW TABLE STATUS
> statement or with myisamchk -dv tbl_name. If your large table is read-only,
> you can use myisampack to compress it. myisampack usually compresses a table
> by at least 50%, so you can have, in effect, much bigger tables.
>
> Thanks
>
> Visolve DB Team

Olaf Stein
DBA
Center for Quantitative and Computational Biology
Columbus Children's Research Institute
700 Children's Drive
phone: 1-614-355-5685
cell: 1-614-843-0432