At 10:39 AM -0400 5/25/01, Dave Carter wrote:
>So in my insert into .... select, I would just add another Select???? Like
>this:
>
>INSERT INTO tablename (field1,field2,field3)
>SELECT table2.field1, table2.field2, table2.field3
>FROM table2
>SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();

Uh, no.  Perhaps you should tell us exactly what you're trying to do,
because we're just guessing.  The statement above isn't legal, but even
if it were, it's not clear what use you're trying to make of LAST_INSERT_ID().

If what you're doing is inserting a record into one table that generates
an AUTO_INCREMENT value, and then trying to create a record in a second
table that uses the new value, you'd do something like this:

INSERT INTO first_table ...

INSERT INTO second_table (id,other_field1,other_field2,...)
        VALUES (LAST_INSERT_ID(),    # this is the new AUTO_INCREMENT value
                value_for_other_field1,
                value_for_other_field2,
                ...);

--