We have a logging package that logs data into a table. Part of the data
that is logged are elements of a vector. A logging application
automatically takes out the elemets of the vector and automatically
creates column names based on it's name and the element. This data will
be mixed in with lots of other scalar data, but the elements will be
created next to each other. For example, I may have a table with column
names like this:

datetime
scalar1
scalar2
scalar3
vector_1
vector_2
vector_3
vector_4
scalar4
scalar5

etc etc. I reality there is a lot more data than this. I neet to be able
to select only the items of the vector - like this:

select vector_1,vector_2,vector_4,vector_4 from mytable where
datetime=somedatetime.

So far so good. However the problem is that the vector size can vary
from contract to contract. I don't want to have to change the select
command for each contract we do. The format of the column name is always
itemname_x where x starts at 0.

So I'd like to do something like

select vector_* from mytable where datetime=somedatetime.

but of course this doesn't work.

Anyone any ideas how I can do this?

Andy