Hi Raman,

>> Is mysql is able to manage this huge amount of data.
MySQL does manage this amount of data very easily.

>> Can we put this much of data in single table database   OR  keeping the
data in multiple tables is the good practice.
You can keep this much amount of data in one single MySQL table. But incase
of storing data in single large table like this, please go for a horizontal
partitioning of the data as it would reduce the load very much and also the
whole application will become highly scalable in future. You can actually
wait for this partitioning feature till 5.1 or you can go ahead and
implement your own version. (See information_schema database table in 5.1 to
get a feel on how to implement this)

>> What precautions I have to taking while managing this much of data in
MySQL....etc etc
Actually 17 million rows is not too huge a data that make you worry about
performance. But try to have a machine with 2CPU and 2G RAM with decent disk
speeds. That should be enough. Make changes to your my.cnf on the similar
lines given in medium.my.cnf (or the appropriate one that suits your H/W
requirements) that is provided by MySQL along with all the distributions.

>> can u plz tell me tht wht is the capacity of storage of MySQL DB.
To get a very good approximate of how much space the MySQL DB is going to
take, better generate dummy data and load it into the DB and use the sql
statement 'show table status' to see the exact space usage. Or create the
table in the MySQL DB with the same structure and load a sample of 100-200
rows and find the average row length (show table status). Multiply the
average row length with the number of rows (17milliion for your case). This
also gives you a good estimate. Don't forget to account for the space used
by indexes here. Use MySQL 5.0 to see better space usage from MySQL side. It
uses the compact row format -- compress rows before storing them.

Hoe this helps.

Thank you
Sujay
  _____