Hello,

I have a master that's been running since the 13th of January. Since
the same date I've had a slave running against it, without any errors
or serious lag. Suddenly, this morning replication broke with
duplicate entry errors. My master claimed to be on mysql-bin.000014
with a significant LOG_POS. The slave however, claimed to be back on
mysql-bin.000001. Trying to skip forward, the slave would skip forward
as far as mysql-bin.0000003, still having duplicate entry errors
(assumedly because it had already been this far). I then tried to set
it to something much further forward such as mysql-bin.000010 at which
it gave me this error:

070129 14:00:12 [ERROR] Error reading packet from server: Could not
find first log file name in binary log index file ( server_errno=1236)
070129 14:00:12 [ERROR] Got fatal error 1236: 'Could not find first
log file name in binary log index file' from master when reading data
from binary log

On the master, the file does in fact exist, and the permissions are
correct. However, I did note that the mysql-bin.index has not been
updated since mysql-bin.000001, and the time stamp on the .index file
is on the 14th of January. I tried to manually add the missing
entries, but to no avail, the slave still couldn't find them. Then I
restarted the slave, and still the same problem.

Its as if the slave was moving right along, and then suddenly decided
to forget where it was and go back to mysql-bin.000001. Has anyone
seen this before? Its a first for me.

BTW, the MySQL on both boxes is 5.0.27-debug on Solaris 10. The
binaries are the MySQL-built binaries.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
Jason