Great idea! Tips on how to get around, good local restaurants (if you like Vietnamese, San Jose is the place), and other things to do when you need a break... There is really a great deal just a short distance away, but you have to know how to get there. It's possible there was something like this last year, but I live in the area so I didn't look for it.

I'm in full agreement that a conference is just that much better when it includes a little variety, a chance to get away from the drab convention hall, and a chance to socialize a little.

One thing I suggest is to attend the Quiz Show (Wed 8pm) or other "after hours" activities. Great fun, and a good way to hook up with people for dinner or drinks away from the center.

Eric

--
Eric Braswell
Web Manager     MySQL AB

Mike Wexler wrote:
The area by the Santa Clara convention center is pretty dead, but you can take the light rail to downtown San Jose and there is a pretty lively nightlife there, lots of interesting restaurants, The Tech Museum and other things depending on you interests. Also there are lots more interesting places to eat than sizzler within in 5 minute drive of the convention center.

Perhaps what is needed is either a nice cheatsheet of what to do and where to go? Or perhaps some of the locals could volunteer to be "ambassadors" and take people with similar interests to local activities, restaurants or points of interest.