> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# mysqladmin -u [EMAIL PROTECTED] password new_password
> mysqladmin: Can't turn off logging; error: 'Access denied; you need the SUPER
> privilege for this operation'

HUH?  What's wrong? :

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# mysql -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 1910 to server version: 5.0.27
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql> use information_schema;
> Database changed
> mysql> show tables;
> +---------------------------------------+
> | Tables_in_information_schema          |
> +---------------------------------------+
> | CHARACTER_SETS                        |
> | COLLATIONS                            |
> | COLLATION_CHARACTER_SET_APPLICABILITY |
> | COLUMNS                               |
> | COLUMN_PRIVILEGES                     |
> | KEY_COLUMN_USAGE                      |
> | ROUTINES                              |
> | SCHEMATA                              |
> | SCHEMA_PRIVILEGES                     |
> | STATISTICS                            |
> | TABLES                                |
> | TABLE_CONSTRAINTS                     |
> | TABLE_PRIVILEGES                      |
> | TRIGGERS                              |
> | USER_PRIVILEGES                       |
> | VIEWS                                 |
> +---------------------------------------+
> 16 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from USER_PRIVILEGES;
> +----------------+---------------+----------------+--------------+
> | GRANTEE        | TABLE_CATALOG | PRIVILEGE_TYPE | IS_GRANTABLE |
> +----------------+---------------+----------------+--------------+
> | ''@'localhost' | NULL          | USAGE          | NO           |
> +----------------+---------------+----------------+--------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql>

Right. No USER table and no access at all to users accessing from
localhost.

Why? The rpm should have run the "mysql_install_db" which according to
the docs should have set things up.

OK so try executing it by hand:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# /usr/bin/mysql_install_db --verbose --force --user
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Installing all prepared tables
> 070130  9:10:38 [Warning] Ignoring user change to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' because
> the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
>
> /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't read dir of '/root/tmp/' (Errcode: 13)
> Fill help tables
> 070130  9:10:38 [Warning] Ignoring user change to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' because
> the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
>
> /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't read dir of '/root/tmp/' (Errcode: 13)
>
> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
> to the right place for your system
>
> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h obsidian.j9starr.net password 'new-password'
> See the manual for more instructions.
>
> NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
> the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
> able to use the new GRANT command!
>
> You can start the MySQL daemon with:
> cd / ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &
>
> You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
> directory:
> cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests
>
> Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!
>
> The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
> http://www.mysql.com
> Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com

OK, 1st problem is that there is no access to /root/tmp which is
required for some rather silly reason by the user 'mysql'.
OK, so trust me when I tell you that what I'm about to do next is pretty
safe.  I've taken all the requisite precautions and this isn't a
production box anyway. No user data on this box and no password-less
access out of this box either, several firewalls etc. etc.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# chmod 777 /root;chmod 777 /root/tmp
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]#

<chuckle>"Yikes!", right? Well it's just long enough for a test.</chuckle>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# /usr/bin/mysql_install_db --verbose --force --user
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Installing all prepared tables
> 070130  9:16:03 [Warning] Ignoring user change to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' because
> the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
>
> Fill help tables
> 070130  9:16:03 [Warning] Ignoring user change to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' because
> the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
>

> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
> to the right place for your system
>
> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h obsidian.j9starr.net password 'new-password'
> See the manual for more instructions.
>
> NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
> the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
> able to use the new GRANT command!
>
> You can start the MySQL daemon with:
> cd / ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &
>
> You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
> directory:
> cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests
>
> Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!
>
> The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
> http://www.mysql.com
> Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://shop.mysql.com

OK, so did that work?

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# mysqladmin -u [EMAIL PROTECTED] password new_password
> mysqladmin: Can't turn off logging; error: 'Access denied; you need the SUPER
> privilege for this operation'
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]#

Apparently not!
Were there *ANY* changes?

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# mysql -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 1969 to server version: 5.0.27
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql> exit
> Bye
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] jim]# mysql -u [EMAIL PROTECTED] information_schema
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 1971 to server version: 5.0.27
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql> show tables;
> +---------------------------------------+
> | Tables_in_information_schema          |
> +---------------------------------------+
> | CHARACTER_SETS                        |
> | COLLATIONS                            |
> | COLLATION_CHARACTER_SET_APPLICABILITY |
> | COLUMNS                               |
> | COLUMN_PRIVILEGES                     |
> | KEY_COLUMN_USAGE                      |
> | ROUTINES                              |
> | SCHEMATA                              |
> | SCHEMA_PRIVILEGES                     |
> | STATISTICS                            |
> | TABLES                                |
> | TABLE_CONSTRAINTS                     |
> | TABLE_PRIVILEGES                      |
> | TRIGGERS                              |
> | USER_PRIVILEGES                       |
> | VIEWS                                 |
> +---------------------------------------+
> 16 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from USER_PRIVILEGES;
> | GRANTEE        | TABLE_CATALOG | PRIVILEGE_TYPE | IS_GRANTABLE |
> | ''@'localhost' | NULL          | USAGE          | NO           |
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql>

Non whatsoever.