Hello-

I'm working with an unfamiliar application, trying to figure out where my data is going.

Is it possible to form a query to select from all the columns in several tables at once? Something equivalent to: SELECT FROM * WHERE * = 'john smith'; If that's not possible I'd still like to be able to search each table at once without specifying the column names:
   SELECT FROM <table name>  WHERE * = 'john smith';
If that can't be done, can a sub query find the column names to be selected on?

Basically, I'm trying to avoid doing separate selects on each column in each table.

This is using MySQL 5.0.27 .
Thanks for any suggestion or alternative methods!

-John