At 12:18 PM 2/5/2007, kalin mintchev wrote:

> Put as much memory in the machine as possible. Building indexes for a
> table
> of that size will consume a lot of memory and if you don't have enough
> memory, building the index will be done on the hard disk where it is 100x
> slower. I've had 100M row tables without too much problem. However when I
> tried 500M rows the indexes could not be built (took days) because I too
> little RAM.

thanks....  would you please be more specific about "to little RAM"?

I had only 1gb on a Windows XP box. I was able to put it up to 3gb and it speeded things up quite a bit.

what
amount of memory is enough for the 500M?

You need enough memory to hold the entire index into memory.

what about search speeds? cpu?
also what kind of tables did you use?

Search speeds and CPU with MyISAM is quite good. I tried InnoDb and insert speeds was far too slow because of its row locking versus MyISAM's table locking. Some people have been able to fine tune InnoDb but it requires even more RAM because InnoDb works best when the entire table fits into memory.

Mike