Have you tried using the WITH ROLLUP option after the group by clause? It seems to me that might give you something close to what you are looking for.

----- Original Message ----- From: "C.R.Vegelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lars Schwarz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: running sum with a @variable

Thanks Lars, Dusan,

I  found out that the problem is caused by an ORDER BY clause,
left out in my example because I had no idea this would be the problem.
It works fine with LEFT JOIN and GROUP BY.
However, I need the ORDER BY ...
Any more suggestions to work around ?

Thanks, Cor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lars Schwarz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>