> Hi all,
>

> Just wondering how people are dealing with tables that are used for
> logging, ie: insert only tables supporting occasional queries used for
> audit or event logs.
>
> These tables will keep growing and there is no need to keep them that
> large so what is the best strategy in managing the data in them.
>

> I was thinking of going with MyIsam tables because I don't need
> transactions n the table data is self contained and portable.  I would
> change my application to insert into tables which are named with a
> datestamp component (ie: have the apps determine the name of the table
> based on current time before doing an insert) and then have a cron job
> to create new tables as needed and to also backup and remove older
> tables as they are no longer being used.
>

> Any thoughts on this ?
Well, just a few thoughts...

- with MyISAM, delayed insert and REPLACE proved to be very useful for me
- for a very intensive logging application (1000 hits per second) I found
it better to keep the hits in textfiles (on ramdisk), and periodically (in
every minute or so) process them and feed them to MySQL, using a bunch of
speedup techniques

OTOH I am talking about "preprocessed" logfiles. Storing logs "as-is" in a
database seems an overkill for me. I would just use standard textfiles
with regular bzipping for that.

- Fagzal