Hey.

I should have posted this hear earlier but it just dawned on me that
you guys could have some good feedback:

"We've been working on the design of a protocol which would enable
promotion of a slave to a master in a MySQL replication cluster.

Right now, if a MySQL master fails, most people just deal with a
temporary outage. They bring the box back up, run REPAIR TABLEs if
necessary, and generally take a few hours of downtime.

Google, Flickr, and Friendster have protocols in place for handling
master failure but for the most part these are undocumented.

One solution would be to use a system like DRDB to get a synchronous
copy of the data into a backup DB. This would work of course but would
require more hardware and a custom kernel.

You could also use a second master in multi-master replication but
this would require more hardware as well and complicates matters now
that you're using multi-master replication which has a few technical
issues.

A simpler approach is to just take a slave and promote it to the
master. If this were possible you'd be able to start writing to the
new master almost immediately after the old master fails. You'd lose a
few transactions but if you have any critical code that depends on
data insertion you can have it assert that it reached at least one
slave before moving forward."

http://www.feedblog.org/2007/02/a_simple_protoc_1.html

--
Founder/CEO Tailrank.com