Dear listmembers

On mysql version 4.1.13 I execute a query of this type:

UPDATE a
LEFT JOIN b ON a.col = b.col
SET a.x = a.x + b.y
WHERE b.col IS NOT NULL;

I expect that column a.x is updated for every match in the join but this
is not the case. Table a is updated for the first match only as in this
example:

mysql> use test;
Database changed

mysql> create table atable ( a int, b int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into atable values(1,10),(2,10),(3,10),(4,10);
Query OK, 4 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Records: 4  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> select * from atable;
+------+------+
| a    | b    |
+------+------+
|    1 |   10 |
|    2 |   10 |
|    3 |   10 |
|    4 |   10 |
+------+------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> create table btable (a int, b int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into btable values(2,5),(3,6),(3,7);
Query OK, 3 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Records: 3  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> select * from btable;
+------+------+
| a    | b    |
+------+------+
|    2 |    5 |
|    3 |    6 |
|    3 |    7 |
+------+------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> update atable left join btable on atable.a = btable.a
set atable.b = atable.b + btable.b where btable.a is not null;
Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 2  Changed: 2  Warnings: 0

mysql> select * from atable;
+------+------+
| a    | b    |
+------+------+
|    1 |   10 |
|    2 |   15 |
|    3 |   16 |
|    4 |   10 |
+------+------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

However, the result I would like to achieve is (manually edited for the
purpose of explanation):

mysql> select * from atable;
+------+------+
| a    | b    |
+------+------+
|    1 |   10 |
|    2 |   15 |
|    3 |   23 |
|    4 |   10 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

i.e. row 3 of atable should be updated 2 times, adding 6 and 7, as there
are 2 rows in btable where column a is = 3.

How can I do this? Any help is apreciated.

Thomas Spahni