I thought about it.... I was actually going to use merge tables AND
partitions to split the underlying MyISAM tables across two disks and
then partition on top.

It's POSSIBLE to use partitioning the way I want it but I'm going to
have to grok it for a bit more.....

Thanks though.

Kevin

On 2/12/07, Jay Pipes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin Burton wrote:
> I want to use a merge table so that I can direct all new INSERTs to a
> new merge table and migrate old data off the system by having a
> continually sliding window of underlying MyISAM tables.
>
> The problem is that of I do INSERT ... ON DUPLCATE KEY UPDATE  and
> that value isn't in the leading table where all INSERTs go a *new* row
> will be created.
>
> Is there any way around this problem?

What about using partitioning in MySQl 5.1+?  Would this work?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/partitioning.html

Cheers,

Jay

--