> For what you described... you will not get a fixed size...
>
> If you have set file_per_table flag in my.cnf you might want to know
> that the .ibd files in the database directory are by default
> auto-extending... so those files WILL grow... along with your data...
>
> The shared tablespaces that you talked about (10 * 100MB) are still
> used by InnoDB for transactions and foreign keys reference (at least
> these two things)...
> Although I don't get why would you use 10 files of 100MB... why not 20
> of 50MB... unless they are on different disks and partitions... I
> don't understand...
>
> I would personally go with at most 2 files arround 500MB... keeping in
> mind that you have file_per_table on !!!
>
> How big transactions are you expecting... how many clients are you
> expecting ?
> Answers to these questions can help you tweak the server...

For the shared tables I'm just playing around with the ideology.  In
prod I would like to have a couple GB of transactional space.  The
transactions will be small but there will probably be 200+/s.  I expect
that the transaction logs will be on a separate disk instance (probably
a raid 5 disk) in production.

I had realized after the fact that I had use the per_table.  When I
figured that out I was able to see the sizes of course.

In dev we're running about 1000/s (or at leasts that's the max insert
rate on the xen instances we have -- not a really fast machine).