I haven't been into phpMyAdmin for a while, but when I tried today I got the error:

|#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

This error message didn't seem to tie in with anything on the MySQL site, which gives:

Error: |2002| (|CR_CONNECTION_ERROR|)
Message: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '%s' (%d)

I only use MySQL every now and then, just for experimenting with programming projects, so it could be that phpMyAdmin hasn't been working for some time.

I'm on a SUSE 10.0 box with an AMD64 dual core 4200+ processor.

The server is up and running and is using the socket file:

/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

The permissions on that file are:

srwxrwxrwx  1 mysql mysql 0 2007-02-15 19:24 /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

mysql.log is completely empty.

Am I missing something really obvious? I'm a decent programmer, but the world's worst sysadmin, I'm afraid.

Thanks

Peter