At 10:34 AM -0600 2/21/07, Gerald L. Clark wrote:
Marty Landman wrote:
The table was created and then loaded and not modified in any way I'm aware
of afterwards. It's on a local, only accessible by me server.

Really weird thing about it is that I wrote/ran a program specifically to
find any gaps in the id sequence - because of the size of the table it took
days to run but the result was

1-100537311

IOW it confirms the max id that Mysql gave, but also indicates that there
are no gaps in the row id's all the way through. This doesn't make sense to
me in light of Mysql reporting the count as posted previously i.e.

mysql> select count(*) from fidcid;
+-----------+
| count(*)  |
+-----------+
| 100480507 |
+-----------+
1 row in set (0.09 sec)

If this table is InnoDB, then count(*) is
just an approximation.

--
Gerald L. Clark
Supplier Systems Corporation

select count(*), as well as other functions like max(), min() etc should be accurate regardless of table type; it's the 'show table status' report that may be inaccurate for Innodb:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/show-table-status.html

Going back to the original problem:

What is the table type & MySQL version? Also, if you drop the auto_increment column and recreate it (on a copy of the original table, if necessary), are these results repeatable?

Also, if the server has been shutdown improperly, there may be table corruption:

MyISAM tables:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/myisam-table-problems.html

InnoDB problems:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-troubleshooting.html

        steve

PS. This may be an obvious question, but: are you sure data loading was finished before running the select count(*) and select max(id) queries?

--
+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                                http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |