> The next question is what permissions do I need to give
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] to just access that one permission?

The sound of that thump thump thump is my head hitting the wall.

There is like a single small line in the GRANT section of the how to
that mentioned "TABLE|PROCEDURE|FUNCTIO" but none of the samples use
this.

GRANT EXECUTE ON PROCEDURE testdb.sp_testlogin TO [EMAIL PROTECTED];
            ---- ^^^^^^^^^

The mysql team might want to add a sample like this to the documentation
so people can see how to fine tune the permissions for SP, etc.

Everything seems to be working fine now

Here is what I did:
Created user svspexec with select, insert update, delete on testdb
Created procedure with definer [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Added execute procedure for testdb.sp_testlogin to user
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can now execute the store proc and get the expected result back
without having to have select access to the table.

I did fine many people saying that I need select access to mysql.proc
for the svreader account (the account to execute the sp) but it seems to
work fine without it.  It this a bug that was fixed or do I have a open
permission issue on my box somehow?