Also consider

wait_timeout in my.ini

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rolando Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Chris Boot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2007 2:19:38 PM (GMT-0500) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?

I hope I am not asking dumb questions
but please consider the following:

1) Do you mysql_close every connection when rendering a page ?
2) Have you ever tried mysql_pconnect (which does not require doing a
mysql_close to any persistent connection) ?
3) Do you have interactive_timeout set (in seconds) in my.ini (default is 28800
[8 hours]) ?
4) Do you have 'max_user_connections' set to zero (default anyway) in my.ini ?