> The problem has been resolved. There is apparently an
> undocumented option
> (at least it's not documented in the HTML manual for 3.23.38)
> required in
> the my.cnf file - "use-symbolic-links". I was using all
> default values, so
> I wasn't even using a my.cnf or a my.ini file.
>
> Here's how I made it work on my NT system:
>
> 1. Upgrade to 3.23.38 (someone suggested I needed that,
> although the HTML
> documentation said that symbolic link support was compiled
> into the binary
> distribution much earlier; I doubt this is necessary)
> 2. Copy c:\mysql\my-example.cnf to c:\my.cnf
> 3. Edit c:\my.cnf and comment out all the options; just leave
> [myslqd] section
> 4. Add use-symbolic-links to the [mysqld] section
> 5. Start mysql-max-nt service
> 6. Create the mydb.sym file in the c:\mysql\data directory,
> with the line
> c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mydb\. Note the trailing backslash; I was
> told this is
> important.
>
> Database is ready to go.

Hi all,

Unfortunately I could not make this work on Windows 2000, but I found a way that
should run on all Windows platforms thanks to the tip regarding the
'use-symbolic-links' option :-)

1) Start a DOS-prompt
2) Go to the '<mysql installation path>\bin' directory
3) Type the following command: 'mysqld-max --console --skip-innodb
--use-symbolic-links'
4) Now you get a message that states 'mysqld-max: ready for connections'.

IMPORTANT: In order to use your mysql database, you need to keep this DOS-prompt
window (conmsole) 'alive'. However I am not sure how to shut down the MySQL database
console properly, is it safe just to 'kill' the console window?

Please beware that I do no know the functionality behind the innodb feature
(--skip-innodb), thus use the command above with caution, you might want to take a
backup of your data in the MySQL database before you try this out.
--
Regards

Grosen Friis,
Programmer