I have to disagree with most, I would store the entire file in the
database, metadata and all.  Better security, if you have a backend
database, it's much harder to get the data than pdf's sitting in a
directory on the webserver.  Plus if you ever want to scale to a
multi-webserver environment, the db storage works great.